My Life & My Pride

"At last I understood that writing was this: an impulse to share with other people a feeling or truth that I myself had." — Brenda Ueland

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Ethan's First Eid Prayer


August 30, 2011... The rose-pink light of dawn appeared and we were all awake and busy preparing for the Eid Prayer. Everybody was excited for the holiday. Ethan was agitated and kept on looking for his dress to wear. Luckily, I already prepared it on the eve of the event. The toub (a long white long-sleeved dress just above the ankle usually worn by Arab men and young kids) was given to me by my sister-in-law. I was surprised as if it was fitted for him. There was only one missing, his kufiya (a traditional headdress worn by male muslims). I wasn't able to find one for him.

Looking at him in his dress, I felt blissful, Alhamdulillah! I just couldn't help imagining Ethan reading Qur'an or doing Adhan (Islamic call to prayer). I suddenly remembered something. It was a promise to ALLAH. As a born Islam, it is my obligation to guide my son through Islam. Bluntly speaking, I know this is very hard for me for I, myself, have flaws too. But I don't lose hope. I know my family & my faith will help me & my son.

ALLAH, The Most Gracious, The Most Merciful, guide me always and help me raise my son through Your way. To my family, friends and my bes who never fail to support me: thanks for everything. You're all my strength. To Ethan: InshaALLAH this Eid Prayer will never be your first and last. I will keep my promise to ALLAH, that I will lead you through Islam until my last breath, InshaALLAH. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment